Larger Font | Smaller Font

City of Bel Aire

Bel Aire, Growing with You


City of Bel Aire


When doing a home improvement project, it might be necessary for you to secure a building permit. The permitting process is designed to promote safe building practices that are in accordance with the Zoning Ordinances of the City. Insure that work is done correctly and safely eliminates many problems before they start. The following list of projects will require a building permit. This list is not exhaustive and if you or your contractor have any questions regarding building permits, please contact the City Building Inspector, Keith Price, at (316) 744-2451 ext 120 or email at 

  • All new home construction
  • Adding a concrete slab, sidewalk, patio, driveway, or approach
  • All fences located in the backyard. (Contact City Hall for type of fencing construction in front or side yards)
  • All decks
  • Covering or enclosing a deck, porch, or patio
  • Adding a carport
  • Changing door or window opening sizes
  • Installing a fireplace
  • Adding or dividing rooms
  • Installation of swimming pools
  • Finishing an unfinished basement
  • Installing solar panels
  • Replacing or adding furnaces, air conditioners, condensing units
  • Adding new heat ducts/air-conditioning ductwork
  • Replacing electrical service panels, or adding electrical circuits
  • Building additions to a house
  • Constructing a garage or adding an addition to an existing garage
  • Adding a daylight window in a basement
  • Re-roofing
  • Re-siding
  • Replacing a water heater
  • Installing a sprinkler system or replacement of pressure vacuum breaker
  • Adding or moving plumbing fixtures
  • Replacing water, sewer, or gas lines
  • All sheds and playhouses
  • All signs (Must be approved under the City's Zoning Ordinance)
  • Adding dirt in large quantities (5 cubic yards), or changing grade
  • Removing of large quantities of dirt (5 cubic yards), or changing grade
  • Enlarging garage door openings
  • Adding any type of backup electrical power source
  • Framing, furring of basement walls
  • Towers (Any type)
  • Tents (120 square feet or larger)
  • Masonry type of fence, fireplace, outside cookers, or structures
  • Foundation and Basement Repair

In many instances, a licensed contractor will be needed to complete a significant improvement or remodeling project. There are many projects that homeowners can accomplish without a licensed contractor. These projects are still subject to approval of the City Building Inspector, to insure that homeowners and other citizens are not injured by faulty construction or execution. If you have any questions regarding Building Permits, please contact the City Building Inspector, Keith Price, at (316) 744-2451 ext. 120 or email at

Restricted Homeowner Projects

Homeowners are encouraged to maintain and improve their property as they see fit. However, there are some home improvement projects that, due to potential danger or technical difficulty, are restricted by City Ordinance. Major projects in the following areas require a licensed contractor or advisement of the City Building Inspector. Please contact the Building Inspector if you are uncertain about your home improvement project.

  • Electrical work (Circuits, breaker boxes)
  • Mechanical work (Furnace, air conditioning, heat pumps)
  • Plumbing (Water heater, water pipes, sewer pipes, sprinklers)
  • Concrete (Driveway approach, city sidewalk, structural)

Adding a structure to the outside of a home requires a drawing with existing structures and the proposed addition with dimensions. Finishing interior spaces require floor plans with dimensions with each room labeled. These drawings must be submitted to the City for review and approval. Proposals must include: valuation of a project includes plumbing, electrical and mechanical; qualifications of the person(s) doing the work; plan review;  all necessary applications completely filled out; payment of all fees that apply to the project.
When all paperwork is completed and approved you will be issued  a permit card and telephone numbers to call for any inspections.

Permit Applications

Before issuing a permit for projects, an applicant must fill out an application form, provide the necessary documentation and pay all applicable fees. Permit applications can be printed from the below links or obtained at City Hall. The City inspector can answer any questions you may have regarding your permit when you return the required paperwork. 

Starting a construction project? Be sure to review the Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan: Requirements for City Projects