City of Bel Aire
How to Read Your Utility Bill
- Abbreviations: The abbreviations noted on your bill stand for different services provided through the City. A list of the abbreviations and definitions is located on the back of the bill and are as follows:
WA Water: Charge for amount of water used in your residence. SW Sewer: Charge for the amount of sanitary sewer used. Meter readings are used to determine the usage. Sewer charges are on a Winter Average Consumption based on consumption during the months of December, January and February. PB Past Balance: Amount carried over from the previous month's bill. RC Recycling: All residents receive a mandatory $4.00 charge for recycling services, but are not required to actively recycle. Residents are required to pay the charge regardless of participation. TR Trash: Residents have the option to select the franchised trash hauler for the City or may select their own company. All residents must are required by law to have trash service within the City limits. CW Clean Water Fee: A per 1000 gallon state fee that goes to fund clean water initiatives. PF Protection Fee: A per 1000 gallon state fee for the preservation of state water sources. PN Penalty: Residents must pay their utility bill by date listed on the bill. Late fees are 10% of the total bill for the month.
- Meter Readings: Meters are read each month. Readings from the previous month are located in the left hand column and the current reading is located in the right hand column. Numbers are rounded to the nearest hundred gallons and are reported in hundreds of gallons. The City's computer system reports the readings in hundreds of gallons to save space. To get the actual number of gallons for your meter reading you must add two zeros to the end of the listed reading.
On the example bill, the meter reading reported is 7928, but is actually 792800. This only applies to the Meter Reading columns.
- Usage: Usage measures the water that follows through the customers meter and is rounded to the nearest 100 gallons. The usage column is the difference between the previous meter reading and the present meter reading.
If you would like to convert your usage from gallons to liters, you can use the handy calculating tool at this website: http://gallonstoliters.com
On the example bill the usage is the difference between 792800 and 796300 or 3500 gallons.
- Sewer Usage: The Sewer sage charge is computed using a Winter Average Consumption (WAC). The WAC is the average of the water used during the months of December, January and February. The WAC rate will remain the same for the rest of year until a new consumption can be calculated. It is possible that the WAC could be higher than the water consumed in a given month, but in most months the WAC should be approximately the same or lower than the amount of water consumed.
- Service Dates: Due the pattern of meter reading and billing, the bill you receive in a given month reflects service for the pervious month. It is important to note the dates on the billing statement.
On the example bill, the service dates being billed are from October 8th to November 8th. This bill would arrive at your house in late November and must be paid by December 10th.