General and Home Business Licenses

It's time to renew your business license for 2023.

Renew your business license here!

Renewing your Business License

All business licenses are valid for one calendar year, and expire on December 31st. A business license renewal reminder will be mailed to all licensed businesses in December of each year. If you close your business, please contact the City so that we may update our records. 

Who Needs a Business License?

  • Businesses located in commercial or industrial zones within the City limits of Bel Aire, Kansas.
  • Home based businesses within the City limits of Bel Aire, Kansas that have an impact on their neighborhood as defined by city ordinance. See below for more information on home based businesses.

Business license regulations are found in City Code Chapter 3 Article 4 .

Applications for New License

Home Based Business

For licensing purposes, home businesses are classified in 3 tiers, based on their actitivies and impact on the surrounding neighborhood. Tier one has minimal impact on the neighborhood and registration is not required for these businesses. Tier two requires registration and licensing. Tier three requires registration, licensing, and a conditional use permit. Home business license requirements which can be found in City Code Chapter 3 Article 4 . The chart below gives examples of types of home businesses in each tier.


Tier one home occupations are not required to register. Some examples include:

  • Administrative offices of business/trade
  • Arts and crafts activities
  • Baking/catering
  • Beauty salon
  • Clerical/secretarial
  • Day-time adult care
  • Direct sales
  • Floral or interior design
  • Jewelry, watch, clock repair; engraving; locksmith;
  • Maid, laundry service
  • Internet business
  • Professional or administrative offices (including psychological, lawyer, accountant, engineer, architect or similar)
  • Photography
  • Picture framing
  • Scissors, saw, blade sharpening Small electronics repair
  • Seamstress, tailoring,
  • Tutoring, education or training