General and Home Business Licenses
It's time to renew your business license for 2023.
Renewing your Business License
All business licenses are valid for one calendar year, and expire on December 31st. A business license renewal reminder will be mailed to all licensed businesses in December of each year. If you close your business, please contact the City so that we may update our records.
Who Needs a Business License?
- Businesses located in commercial or industrial zones within the City limits of Bel Aire, Kansas.
- Home based businesses within the City limits of Bel Aire, Kansas that have an impact on their neighborhood as defined by city ordinance. See below for more information on home based businesses.
Business license regulations are found in City Code Chapter 3 Article 4 .
Applications for New License
- The New License Application for Home or General Business is available to view and submit online.
Home Based Business
For licensing purposes, home businesses are classified in 3 tiers, based on their actitivies and impact on the surrounding neighborhood. Tier one has minimal impact on the neighborhood and registration is not required for these businesses. Tier two requires registration and licensing. Tier three requires registration, licensing, and a conditional use permit. Home business license requirements which can be found in City Code Chapter 3 Article 4 . The chart below gives examples of types of home businesses in each tier.
Tier one home occupations are not required to register. Some examples include:
- Administrative offices of business/trade
- Arts and crafts activities
- Beauty salon
- Day-time adult care
- Direct sales
- Floral or interior design
- Jewelry, watch, clock repair; engraving; locksmith;
- Maid, laundry service
- Internet business
- Professional or administrative offices (including psychological, lawyer, accountant, engineer, architect or similar)
- Picture framing
- Scissors, saw, blade sharpening Small electronics repair
- Seamstress, tailoring,
- Tutoring, education or training
Tier Two home occupations are required to register. Some examples include:
Occupations similar to those listed in TIER ONE column but additionally having the following actual or anticipated requirements:
- External storage used for the home occupation
- Having one (1) or more business-related sign visible from outside. Business-related vehicles are excluded from this limitation. Refer to the City Sign Code.
- Business traffic to or from the residence in excess of five (5) vehicles per day,
- More than two (2) on-site employees other than members of the immediate family permanently occupying such residence.
As determined by the Police Chief or City Zoning Administrator Business raising public health, public safety, or public welfare concerns
Tier three home occupations require a conditional use permit. If the City Zoning Administrator determines an applicant shall be required to obtain a conditional use permit, before registering, that applicant may request the planning commission review that determination. If a majority of the planning commission determines that home occupation should only be required to register, the Planning Commission's determination shall be final.
All other home occupations.
Generally, these are home occupations which may be substantially similar to those allowed in tier one or tier two but anticipated to create a greater impact than typically exists in Bel Aire for those categories of home occupations, or are occupations raising public health, safety, or welfare concerns for residents as determined by the City Zoning Administrator or Chief of Police.