Home and General Business Licenses
- Construction, Building, or Trades: Please visit the Licensed Contractors page for more information about Licenses and Permits for construction, building, or trades (such as sprinkler system maintenance, concrete, remodeling, plumbing, electrical, etc).
- Door-To-Door Sales/Marketing and Mobile Businesses: City Code Chapter 3 Article 3 regulates most types of door-to-door sales/marketing and sales from mobile/ temporary locations (such as ice cream trucks, tents, door-to-door, etc). If you want to engage in any of these activiites in Bel Aire, please contact City Hall at 316-744-2451 for licensing information.
Renew a Home or General Business License
Current license holders canAll Home and General Business Licenses are valid for one calendar year and expire on December 31st. If you close or move your business, please contact the City Clerk so that we may update our records.
New License for Home or General Business
New businesses located within the City limits may submit a New License Application for Home or General Business on our website.
Who Needs a Home or General Business License?
The chart below gives some examples of Home Occupations.
Tier One Home Occupations (NOT required to register/ license)
Some examples include:
- Administrative offices of business/trade
- Arts and crafts activities
- Beauty salon
- Day-time adult care
- Direct sales
- Floral or interior design
- Jewelry, watch, clock repair; engraving; locksmith;
- Maid, laundry service
- Internet business
- Professional or administrative offices (including psychological, lawyer, accountant, engineer, architect or similar)
- Picture framing
- Scissors, saw, blade sharpening Small electronics repair
- Seamstress, tailoring,
- Tutoring, education or training
Tier Two Home Occupations (must register for license)
Occupations similar to those listed in Tier One but additionally having the following actual or anticipated requirements:
- External storage used for the home occupation
- Having one (1) or more business-related sign visible from outside. Business-related vehicles are excluded from this limitation. Refer to the City Sign Code.
- Business traffic to or from the residence in excess of five (5) vehicles per day,
- More than two (2) on-site employees other than members of the immediate family permanently occupying such residence.
- Business raising public health, public safety, or public welfare concerns as determined by the Police Chief or City Zoning Administrator.
Tier Three: All other home occupations.
Generally, these are home occupations anticipated to create a greater impact than typically exists in Bel Aire, or are occupations raising public health, safety, or welfare concerns for residents as determined by the City Zoning Administrator or Chief of Police.
Tier three home occupations require a Home Business License and a Conditional Use Permit.