Woodlawn Expansion Project
Upcoming Woodlawn Schedule and Phases
Q: What is going on with the progress of the construction?
The work on the asphalt road north of the tracks to 45th street has been suspended pending an on-going investigation into the failure of the east lanes. The wheel paths in the east lanes are deforming, cracking, slipping, and sinking. The City is leading an investigation into why this is occurring.
Q: When will the soil studies be completed?
In August, the City retained Terrecon to collect five coring samples. Those samples showed what was installed under the asphalt. The samples confirmed that the correct materials were in place, but raised concerns about weathered shale soils, the amount of AB-3 rock installed, and high moisture levels. This led the Project Engineer (MKEC), with the agreement of the City, to retain GSI to perform soil bearing capacity/strength testing at 24 different locations concentrated in the east lanes between the rail road tracks and 45th Street. Some testing was done south of the tracks and in the west lanes for comparison purposes. GSI also installed piezometers to start the process of measuring the depth and amount of ground water that may be present. GSI performed this testing on October 16-18. We are currently waiting for the GSI data to be released and to obtain GSI’s preliminary report regarding the stability of the sub-grade under the east lanes.
Q: When will results be presented?
The GSI results will be evaluated by MKEC, KDOT, and the City’s engineer. Then a plan will be developed for repairing the east lanes and finishing the project. As soon as this plan is developed and put in place, it will be shared with the public.
Q: The weather has turned cold, and the window has closed to lay down asphalt. Will we have to live with the mess till Spring?
Based on what we know right now, unfortunately, it is likely that fixing the east lanes will require the project to be pushed into the spring. Based on the results of the testing, temporary fixes will need to occur to provide a safe route during the winter season, e.g., patching holes, etc.
For now, we will continue north bound traffic in the middle lane with traffic cones. Our engineers advise us that we should not move traffic back to the east (northbound) lanes with the current condition of the roadbed. Since we are still working with traffic cones and not permanent stripping on the pavement, the traffic light at 45th will continue to be a four way stop.
The City has hired the law firm of Triplett Woolf Garretson to lead our legal efforts as well as a third-party engineering firm to review the project, defects, and assist with developing a path forward. Because KDOT, as the agent and representative for the City, administered and oversaw the construction of this project, we are asking KDOT and the third-party engineers to determine the best course of corrective action.
Currently, work has been temporarily stopped for the asphalt portion of the project until further investigation into the subgrade and asphalt is complete. However, other facets of the project such as landscaping, sidewalks, signalization, etc., can continue. The City is actively working with all parties involved to uncover the root causes behind the sinking, settling, slipping and deformation of the east lanes of the road. Our first order of business is to collect some geotechnical information for the road.
8/22/2023 Railroad work was completed and opened to north and south bound traffic from 37th to 45th Street.
Continuing in Phase 2E construction:
- Complete utility and base paving operations within the right of way at the railroad intersection
- Railroad right of way utility and pavement replacement work scheduled to begin in mid to late April and continue through July
- Through traffic at the railroad will be shut down during this timeframe
- There will be north and southbound traffic on Woodlawn from 37th to 39th St AND 45th St to Heartland Animal Hospital
Currently in Phase 2E construction (began Thursday, February 2nd):
- Pearson will be constructing the west half of the 45th & Woodlawn intersection, along with the remaining pavement north of 45th during this phase.
- Traffic will be switched to the new pavement and will continue as north bound only traffic.
- North bound Woodlawn traffic will be able to continue north through the 45th Street intersection during this phase, as well as turn east.
- 45th Street traffic will not be able to continue through the intersection during this phase.
- East bound traffic will be 2-way traffic until just east of Los Cunados Drive.
- West bound traffic will be required to turn north on Woodlawn.
- Residents on the west side of Woodlawn will have access via Danbury
Currently in Phase 2 (began February 21st):
- Traffic will be north & south bound traffic between 37th to 39th.
- Traffic will only allow north bound traffic from 39th to 45th street.
- Expected to last approximately 10 months (could shorten or lengthen pending any unforeseen items or inclement weather)
- Contractor is to maintain access to drives for businesses/subdivisions either by working on half of the drive at a time or providing a secondary entrance through this phase.
Completed Phase 1
- Expected to last until late January or early February.
- Focused on drainage structure of Quail Ridge and road widenings along west edge of Woodlawn
- All drives and side roads remain open with traffic going in both directions.
- November 2016 - Grant awarded by the Wichita Area Metropolitan Organization (WAMPO) to reconstruct Woodlawn. View those details here.
- May 2018 - Review committee formed to select an engineering firm for the project.
- October 2018 - Preliminary data complete and MKEC begins forming design concepts.
- February 5, 2019 - MKEC presented design concepts to City Council at the Council meeting.
- February 26, 2019 - Public Forum to present design concepts and hear public input.
- March 6, 2019 - Survey mailed to registered voters or available online to gather input from the public.
- March 29, 2019 - Deadline for surveys to be completed and returned.
- April 9, 2019 - City Council discusses all input gathered at the Council workshop.
- April 16, 2019 - City Council approves design for Woodlawn at the Council meeting.
- April 20, 2021 - Kansas Department of Transportation reviews plans.
- July 2021 - Relocation of water mains between Perryton St to Danbury St requiring full closure at work zone (Complete)
- November 17, 2021 - Public Information Meeting held at Isely Elementary to share with citizens and businesses about the proposed schedule and work involved with this project
- November 15, 2021 - Construction start date for Phase 1.
- February 17, 2022 - Phase 2 scheduled to begin.
- July 20, 2022 - Switch to Phase 2C
- November 14, 2022 - Switch to Phase 2D
- February 2, 2023 - Switch to Phase 2E
- March 3, 2023 - Railroad is closed for construction by Union Pacific. Opened March 5th.
- March 29, 2023 - 45th Street intersection is open in all directions.
- April 19, 2023 - Road closure at railroad tracks. Expected to be completed July.
Project Design Concept:
To view as PDF, click here.