Woodlawn Expansion Project
Upcoming Woodlawn Schedule and Phases
Moving to Phase 2E construction (expected to begin end of January):
- Pearson will be constructing the west half of the 45th & Woodlawn intersection, along with the remaining pavement north of 45th during this phase.
- Traffic will be switched to the new pavement and will continue the north bound only traffic.
- North bound Woodlawn traffic will be able to continue north through the 45th Street intersection during this phase, as well as turn east.
- 45th Street traffic will not be able to continue through the intersection during this phase.
- East bound traffic will be 2-way traffic until just east of Los Cunados Drive.
- West bound traffic will be required to turn north on Woodlawn.
- Residents on the west side of Woodlawn will have access via Danbury, and 44th St N.
Currently in Phase 2 (began February 21st):
- Traffic will be north & south bound traffic between 37th to 39th.
- Traffic will only allow north bound traffic from 39th to 45th street.
- Expected to last approximately 10 months (could shorten or lengthen pending any unforeseen items or inclement weather)
- Contractor is to maintain access to drives for businesses/subdivisions either by working on half of the drive at a time or providing a secondary entrance through this phase.
Completed Phase 1
- Expected to last until late January or early February.
- Focused on drainage structure of Quail Ridge and road widenings along west edge of Woodlawn
- All drives and side roads remain open with traffic going in both directions.
- November 2016 - Grant awarded by the Wichita Area Metropolitan Organization (WAMPO) to reconstruct Woodlawn. View those details here.
- May 2018 - Review committee formed to select an engineering firm for the project.
- October 2018 - Preliminary data complete and MKEC begins forming design concepts.
- February 5, 2019 - MKEC presented design concepts to City Council at the Council meeting.
- February 26, 2019 - Public Forum to present design concepts and hear public input.
- March 6, 2019 - Survey mailed to registered voters or available online to gather input from the public.
- March 29, 2019 - Deadline for surveys to be completed and returned.
- April 9, 2019 - City Council discusses all input gathered at the Council workshop.
- April 16, 2019 - City Council approves design for Woodlawn at the Council meeting.
- April 20, 2021 - Kansas Department of Transportation reviews plans.
- July 2021 - Relocation of water mains between Perryton St to Danbury St requiring full closure at work zone (Complete)
- November 17, 2021 - Public Information Meeting held at Isely Elementary to share with citizens and businesses about the proposed schedule and work involved with this project
- November 15, 2021 - Construction start date for Phase 1.
- February 17, 2022 - Phase 2 scheduled to begin.
Project Design Concept:
To view as PDF, click here.